Friday, September 01, 2006

An American idiot?

I just checked in two women from Venuzuela who are here to visit their daughter/granddaughter. After I brought them upstairs and gave them all the formalities, I told them my name and said that I'd be downstairs until 10 if they needed anything. The grandmother looked at me and said pleasantly, "You are not American?"

I was taken aback for a moment, but smiled and replied, "Actually, I am."

"Oh," she said. "You don't speak like one. Your enunciation is so good. You're very clear."

I think I'll take it as a compliment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, a compliment is a compliment!

Good luck in the B&B biz. We threatened Restaurant Gal Daughter that we would buy the vacant Inn two blocks from her campus and become her neighbors! Um, no.

Best, The Gal